What kind of twist, you say? What could we possibly want that the other contests don't?
We've all gone on record here as wanting more stylistic diversity in our paleoart, and here's our chance to put our money where our mouth is. (Figuratively. There's no actual money.) So for this contest, we want you to give us that All Yesterdays inspired speculation, but in new and exciting styles.
So what, precisely, are we looking for?
- A distinct sense of style. Give us a break from the detail oriented realism that's so common. Experiment a bit. Cubism? Art Nouveau? Impressionism? Gesture drawing? It's up to you.
- Interesting speculation. At the same time, we're looking for interesting and unusual subject matter. Dust bathing proto birds? Symbiotic pterosaurs? Odd soft tissue? We'd like to see all of it. Hit us with your craziest stuff.
- Accuracy. Your only guideline is that the animal must at least adhere to current knowledge. No naked raptors and tail dragging sauropods, please.
- Feel free to send along an artists statement explaining your influences or ideas!
- All art is due March 1st, 2013. Send all art to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The first place winner will recieve a copy of Dinosaur Art, as supplied by Marc.
The second place winner will recieve a vintage book of dinosaur art, hand selected by David himself.
The third place winner will receive a signed sketch from myself, depicting any prehistoric creature he or she so desires.
All art we receive will be displayed here, at Love in the Time of Chasmosaurs. Niroot, Myself, David, and Marc will all be participating, of course, but for obvious reasons we will be ineligible to win.
Happy creating, folks! We're looking forward to seeing what you come up with!